A Week From Today . . .

We should be parked at the Colorado River Thousand Trails, and we’re really looking forward to seeing all the kids, and our friends.

What with our doctor visits on the 20th and 27th, and a couple of things our son Chris is going to fix on the truck, along with a couple of repairs on the rig, and some general maintenance getting us ready to travel, it’s going to be a busy time.

I’m going to take a break for a couple of days recounting our first year on the road. I’ve found out over the years we have a lot of readers who aren’t RV’ers and I don’t want them to get bored.

Besides I hate ‘theme’ issues. You know, that’s when your favorite magazine does every article relating to the same theme one month. Now that’s great if you happen to like the theme.

But I seem to get ones like “Underwater Water Polo. Everything you need to know about the sport.” Or “Climbing Mt. Everest. Where to Start.”

Or even “Climb inside the new M1 Abrams tank and take it for a spin.” OK, I probably would read that one. But you get what I’m saying.

I like to break it up a bit.

Jan and I have been trying to figure where we want to travel this year. Or at least the first part of this year. Because we have to be back in Houston for a big family reunion the end of June, that means we have about 90 days of travel time starting the 1st of April after the Tucson Escapade.

First off, we want to do our usual Verde Valley and Las Vegas Thousand Trails, then Jan said she wants to the Rapid City/Deadwood area again, where we haven’t been since 2008.

So that gives us this route so far.

2017 Route

Then we’re trying to decide if we want to go west or east.

If we go west then it will be at least as far as the Bend/Sunriver TT in Oregon, and maybe as far as the Long Beach TT.

2017 Bend Route

But Jan’s also thinking about going east after Rapid City, over to the Elkhart area. So that would give us this.

2017 Elhart Route

Strangely enough, with the two completely different routes, there’s only a little over 100 mile difference between the two.

One disadvantage that I see to the east route is that we once again bypass Kansas and Nebraska, the last two states we haven’t RV’ed in. But not a big deal.

I don’t know what it is about gates and sunsets, but we always seem to have to have some good ones.

Barnhart Sunset

An Oldie, but Goodie.

Invisibility-Cloak

asdfasdfadsf

8 Responses to A Week From Today . . .

1. Brett says:

We’ll be at lake Whitney working for the core this summer April thru September. Stop by if y’all are in the area

2. Jerry Walter says:

Have enjoyed reading those few accounts of the first year RVing on the road. I do enjoy your dailey adventures and your thoughts on issues which are relevant. But do realize that your RVing life or rather the Abventure, is the focus. What is the Map or Travel Utility your using. Your Utilities drop down does not show it.

3. Jan Mains--billandjanrvingtheusa.blogspot.com says:

It’s not difficult, just head south a little bit after Deadwood to Chadron, NE to the fur traders museum, then Robinson State Park, down to Kansas and then over to Elkhart.  Don’t forget the Araby Steamboat Museum and the Salt Mine.

4. Jan Mains--billandjanrvingtheusa.blogspot.com says:

I don’t know if you are a reader of True West Magazine but it is filled with places to see.  We’ve found some unique small towns but reading that magazine.  Bill of course loves all the history stories in it.  Remind me at the Escapade and I’ll show a magazine.

5. Lois Thurston says:

I am sure this question has been asked before but what app do you use to plan your route?

6. Deb Mackey says:

Hey Greg,

You have helped me before (WIFI setup), so I am back with another ?  We are finally going to spring for a satellite bundle, and trying to decide between the King Tailgate Antenna bundle and the Winegard Pathway X2 bundle.  Any thoughts or things we need to consider would be much appreciated.  If you think another system is better please let us know.  Our main concern is ease of use and setup.

We are going back to Custer State Park this year, and the Snake river canyon, we were last there in 1990 in our tent camping years.

happy trails…Deb

Deb,

I’m not familiar with either of those, but both have good reviews.

We’ve used the Winegard Carryout dish since 2010 with no problems.

I think they’re all pretty much the same.

Sorry I couldn’t be more helpful.

7. Merideth says:

Is there a way we could get together before you leave?  We are working Sat & Sun. I have posted 3 blogs on daybydaywith merideth.com. and would like you to take a look at them. I need help with my site.