. . . We’re Not In Kansas Anymore . . .

After an easy morning, we pulled out of the I-80 Lakeside RV about 10:15, leaving our lake view site behind.

I-80 Lakeside RV Park 2

In about 10 minutes we were back out on I-135 south heading for Bartlesville, OK, about 230 miles away. 80 miles later, just south of Wichita, we got on the I-35 Kansas Turnpike for the last 40 miles before the Oklahoma border.

40 miles for $4.75. Not bad.

And 20 miles later we got off I-35 and onto US60 east for the next 80 miles or so. Then about 10 miles out of Pawhuska we passed the entrance gate to the Drummond Ranch.

Drummond Ranch Sign

Doing a little reading later, I was amazed how large the ranch actually is. At 433,000 acres, the Drummonds are the 17th largest landowners in the US.

WOW! That’s Texas big.

In fact, the Drummond Ranch and The Mercantile, home to Ree Drummond, the Pioneer Woman, is the reason we’re here in the first place. This has been on Jan’s bucket list for a while

Coming though Pawhuska a little after 2pm, we passed the place, and as we had been told, saw the line around the block waiting to get in. According to the web, they serve about 6,000 customers a day, with peaks up to 15,000. All this in a town of only 3,500 people.

We pulled into the Lakeside Recreation Park a little after 3pm and were led to our pull-thru site and got set up.

We had planned to go back to Pawhuska for dinner at The Mercantile, but then decided we wanted something closer and quicker, so we headed right down the road to have dinner at Montana Mike’s Steakhouse. And it turned out to be a really good choice. Great steaks, homemade salad dressings and rolls, and excellent service.

As we were pulling into the restaurant parking lot, we were surprised to see this sign on a restaurant right new door.

Monterey's Sign

Monterey’s Little Mexico is one of our favorite places in the Houston area, and we always thought of it as a Houston chain. And it is, except  for 3 locations in OK, 2 in Tulsa, and this one in Bartlesville. Don’t know if we’ll get to eat there while we’re here.

The only downside to this park, is that just like last night’s park, I can’t get a satellite signal. But they have a good cable TV lineup, so I’m hooked up to that.

Passport America, Save 50% on Campsites

I think I may have set a new record. Somehow I managed to use 1GB of data on my MiFi . . . without being online.

I received an email from Verizon at 6:26am yesterday morning saying that I had 1GB left on my MiFi account. And then at 4:29pm, I received another email from them saying that I had now used all my 10GB of data . . . so 1GB in only 10 hours.

The real mystery is that I wasn’t online during this time, or at least,  hardly any of it. We were on the road almost all day, traveling the 330 miles from North Platte, NE to Assaria, KS.

So who was using all my data?

Thought for the Day

According to a new poll, 7% of adults in the US thinks that chocolate milk comes from brown cows.  And 48% doesn’t know where chocolate milk comes from.

I  think that explains a lot.

dfadsfdf

14 Responses to . . . We’re Not In Kansas Anymore . . .

1. Elizabeth says:

Wow, your statistics today at the end DO SAY a lot, Greg!!  I am SO interested in what you guys see at the Drummond store…heh, that lady needs no change eh?  Had no idea that those folks are so land wealthy…not that I would like to live there…but still…

2. John says:

Greg, I have Verizon too and the same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I checked where data usage was used and it said video and then broke that down to Google Play Store App. Not sure from there, but am wondering if hacked the play store and is using data for something through our accounts?

John,

But the question is why is this any different from my 3G aircard?

And why am i suddenly using almost twice as much data (at least as Verizon says) on my MiFi?

Thanks for reading our blog. We appreciate your comments.

3. Mary says:

Try to see Woolaroc if you have time and Frank Phillips house in B-ville. Also Price Tower.

4. We learned to shut our MiFi off every time we go off-line as a way of keeping our usage down. Also shutting Automatic Updates will help and not running too many open programs at once. Hopefully that will cut your usage for you and Jan.

Be Safe and Enjoy!

Rick,

The problem with all this is that with my 3G aircard, I was using about 20-25GB per month.

Now with the MiFi, I used 10GB in 6 days, and last month used 39GB. And I’m not doing anything different.

5. Boots Gibson says:

Verzion told e to make sure my hotspot was turned off, as well my cell hot spot whenever it’s not in use or they can keep using data on their own, possibly for updates etc.

Boots,

That’s just the thing. My MiFi was turned off when it used the 1GB.

Thanks for reading our blog. We appreciate your comments.

6. Nelson (Coop) Cooper says:

Greg, we have had the same experience with the usage on our MiFi.  Very frustrating when you use 85% of your monthly allowance in the first few days of the month.

Nelson (Coop) Cooper

7. Art Johns says:

Now you have visited all 50 states except Hawaii.  I guess you can’t get there in Beauty.

Art.

I still looking for the fabled land route to Hawaii. And as soon as I do, we’re on our way.

Thanks for reading our blog. We appreciate your comments.

8. Linda in NE says:

From everything I’ve been reading about the Verizon MiFis they seem to be a rip-off.  Good thing you still have your aircard.

9. Cathie Laurent says:

Monterey’s is our favorite place to eat in Bartlesville. Passed through Pawhuska today about 4 and line was still out the door to eat. I suggest visiting the Merc and returning to Bville for Mexican!