$1.84 A Gallon . . .

Stopped by the Costco this afternoon on my way home from my client’s to fill up before I pick up Jan on Monday.

And the price has now dropped to $1.84. And then on the way home, the HEB that was $2.12 this morning, is now down to $2.01 to match the WalMart right across the Interstate. But as before, still not any real change in the diesel price.

I did stop at the Denny’s down here to have breakfast, just so I wouldn’t have to fix anything myself. Besides breakfast sounded good.

Tomorrow I’m going to get back on looking for the oil leak on our rig’s Cummins 360 ISC diesel engine. To recap, the leak first appeared on our trip up to Illinois back in June. Since it occurred during our first trip after having the engine serviced and the oil filter replaced, and that the leak seemed to be coming from the vicinity of the filter, I called RV Mobile Lube to come back out and replace the filter. And several engine tests, and even a 2 hour test drive seem to show the leak had been fixed. However, when we headed down to Florida this past October, the leak was back.

Coming back to Houston I tried to use my WiFi Endoscope Inspection Camera to see what was happening.

Depstech Endoscope

But there was so much vibration that the picture was just too blurry to see anything. So tomorrow I’m going to lift the bed up again, remove the Endoscope, and then use one of my Wyze cameras

Wyze Camera

mounted on the end of a long rod to just take a look at the area where the leak seems to be originating and see what’s what’s.

It only leaks when the engine is running, and except for needing to add oil, a couple of gallons every 400 miles or so, the engine runs perfectly. So hopefully I’ll see something tomorrow that will shed some light on things.

Looks like things have warmed up down at Disney World.

Brandi et all at Disney 2

Where it was in the 50’s a couple of days ago, it’s shirt sleeve weather now for Brandi, Lowell,and Landon. Looks like they’re still having a blast.

Only two more days until Jan’s back home. Karma and I are both giddy.

And lonely.

Is there anything so permanent as a “temporary” government program?

jhghg

11 Responses to $1.84 A Gallon . . .

1. Chris says:

“It only leaks when the engine is running, and except for needing to add oil, a couple of gallons every 400 miles or so”

surely (shirley) you mean quarts Greg???

Chris,

Nope, it’s GALLONS.

My engine holds 26 quarts of oil or 4½ gallons. So if it were only 2 quarts low, I wouldn’t even notice it. And even being 1 to 2 gallons low, the only thing I notice is that my oil pressure drops from the normal 60-62 psi down to around 55-57. According to Cummins, as long as it doesn’t get below 50 psi, no problem. Just don’t go any lower. LOL.

Thanks for reading our blog. We appreciate the comment.

2. Chris doesn’t know about these big Diesel Engines and how much oil they use.

I tried an Endoscope like the one you are showing but found it gave a stop frame affect. Bought another with the Six Foot lead and 2-1/2″ Monitor and it showed real time. Easier to use then your Wyze Camera.

The Oil Companies are just making their profits off Diesel.

Be Safe and Enjoy!

3. Jason Deas says:

What’s a Texas guy doing wearing an Oklahoma shirt? They might not let him back in the state.

Jason,

Our son-in-law Lowell is from Oklahoma and went to the University of Oklahoma, but he got here as soon as he could, pretty much right out of college, and he’s a great son-in-law, so we cut him a little slack.

Thanks for reading our blog. We appreciate the comment.

4. Ellen says:

My  57 year professional mechanic husband said the wrong oil filter was used since you did not have a problem before it was changed.  Is the filter a Fleetguard filter?  We have a 2002 Cummins ISM engine (holds 12 gal of oil).  He also says for the price of a new engine or a complete overhaul a trip to Cummins would be worth the cost.  Cummins needs 30# min. oil pressure at road speed under load. jack brake needs 30# min. also.  It is possible that the turbo could have an oil seal leak and the oil is being burned up in combustion.  What is the oil pressure at idle?  If it is the turbo seal it will not show up in a fast idle because it is not under a load.

5. Larry of Travelin Tweety says:

I told my wife to post a comment to you, but I see that her comment did not post.

I’ve been a mechanic and Service director for several Car Manufactures, for over 55 years. My wife read about  your issue  and asked me if I had any ideas. I told my wife to tell you, that since the oil filter was replaced and you incurred the issue, it could be the oil filter, if you had a leak on the floor or ground, when running, which would be all over the engine, when running down the highways.

It would either have to be a piston oil ring or a Turbo bearing seal. I would lean on the side of the Turbo seal, since you probably let the coach set for periods of time and the Coach is 19 years old and seals dry up if not run frequently, or the Turbo was not allowed to cool down, before the engine was shut down..

Also, if the engine is not allowed to run for a few minutes after running to let the oil circulate and cool the Turbo down, it will cook a turbo seal. Actually this would apply to any Turbo equipped engine; gasoline or Diesel.

A coach should be moved at least 60 miles every 30 days to keep seals and other parts in the engine and drive line lubricated and softened up.

With that in mind, I searched the internet and found an article about a similar issue, which confirms my beliefs, that it a bad Turbo seal. You can read the whole article and I have highlighted the article’s conclusion.  With this in mind. I would replace the Turbo, even if it costs$3,000 to $4,000. Yes it is a gamble, but at this point it is the BEST OPTION you have. This could cause other issues and should not be put aside.  I have always gone by the saying: “Pay now; OR Pay a lot more later”.

Remember to move the coach 60 miles every 30 days. AND Please, Please, let the Turbo cool down, before shutting off ANY engine!

We recently ran into a problem with our motorhome that we can’t figure out. We own a 2007 Newmar Dutchstar powered by a 400-hp Cummins ISL turbo ­diesel engine. It has about 36,000 miles on it. During our last trip, we suddenly began to go through a considerable amount of oil. Eventually, we discovered that we were losing about 1 gallon of oil about every 300 miles. I did not notice any loss of power.
    I kept an eye on the oil pressure gauge and the temperature gauge and neither indicated there was a problem. I contacted Cummins and was told that as long as the oil pressure stayed within guidelines it would be safe to drive home. The pressure gauge was showing me running between 50 and 55 pounds of oil pressure and 20 to 25 at idle, which is well within guidelines. However, just to be safe, we stopped in Omaha, Neb., and again in Cheyenne, Wyo., to have two certified Cummins shops look at it. After three days, neither of these repair shops were able to locate anything wrong with the engine.
    However, oil continued to disappear. Eventually, we replaced about 14 gallons of oil in about 3,000 miles. There is no indication of a leak anywhere. There are no drops of oil under the engine after stopping overnight, no spray of oil on our dinghy car, no spray or oil in or around the engine compartment and no oil dripping from the exhaust. Also, there is no evidence of burning oil such as blue smoke from the exhaust. The exhaust pipe shows black soot, but it is not excessively oily.
    When we arrived home, we took the coach to a local Cummins dealer and told them what had happened. We left the motorhome there for more than four months so they could diagnose the problem. They finally gave it back and told us they had run out of ideas as to what the problem might be. They checked the turbo, the cooling system and everything else they could think of and could not explain where the oil is going. They, too, were unable to find any leaks. They also cut open the oil filter and were unable to find any indications of problems such as metal fragments.

These engines run well in most conditions using 15W40 diesel oil, and going to slightly heavier oil, such as 20W50, won’t make an appreciable difference in your situation. Make sure you are not overfilling the engine oil.
    Due to their high compression ratios, diesel engines can burn a lot of oil before it starts to show in the exhaust. There are several things that can cause high oil consumption similar to what you report. A blocked crankcase ventilation system can cause a sudden rise in oil use. A cracked oil ring could also cause high oil consumption. It should cause blue smoke, but it might not. One easy way I check for internal blow-by and cylinder-sealing problems is by removing the oil filler cap while the engine idles. Compare the amount of fumes coming out to a known-good engine. If it is blowing out a lot of fumes, have a cylinder leak-down test performed to locate the problem.
    The most likely cause is a failed oil seal in the turbocharger. Heat and age get to them, and cause engine oil to migrate into the air stream going into the engine, where combustion burns it up. I know you mentioned that they “checked” the turbo, but how did they check it? You can’t tell by looking at it, and boost will be normal. A faulty turbo oil seal is consistent with all of the other factors you provided, which indicate an otherwise healthy engine. Turbo seals are likely to go bad if you run the engine hard, such as up a grade, and then shut it off without letting it idle to cool down for several minutes. It only takes one time.

6. I put my name as: Larry of  “Travelin Tweety”, on a comment I just sent. Most know us as “Tweety Coach.”  I’m 77 now, but we’ve been in Ministry helping people in RV parks etc, with mechanical and other RV issues, for over 15 years. But “slowin down  a little” now, and just giving advise and counseling God’s people.

You can check out our Blog , kept up by my Wife and Love of 58 years at: http://tweetycoach.blogspot.com/

My Blog that I’ve not taken the time to keep up to date: https://tweetycoach.wordpress.com  but gives more on the mechanical side.

7. Lupe says:

Hi Greg,
    Really like your blog.  It’s the first one I read every morning.  I am always telling my husband about your computer, technical, electronic skills.
    My husband and I are about to hit the road to full-time RV and are thinking about starting a blog for family and friends.   I have been reading on how to start one and I have a question for you.  I was on the site WP beginner.com which gives step by step instructions.  There is also a video entry on the blog page.  Anyway, the video refers to Host Gator for the hosting site and the actual blog post refers to Blue Host.  Do you have any recommendations on which one to pick?   I just want the basic blog set up which will allow for pictures and the occasional video.  I really don’t want to spend a lot of money on it since we will be on a budget.

Thanks for any help you can provide,

Lupe,

I have used Godaddy for years for all my sites. I have over 25 sites and about 40 domain names with them. I have heard of Host Gator, but not Blue Host.

For what you want to do Host Gator would probably be fine.

Thanks for reading our blog. We appreciate the comment.