Found’em . . .

Well, today was a little quieter on the gate than yesterday, with only 119 vehicles coming through, against yesterday’s 130.  Of course, that really means 238 vehicles, counting coming in and going out. But they’ve been bringing in house trailers for the new well, so we’ll be having people staying over pretty soon.

Another gate guard company is looking for a couple for a gate near Bristol, TX, about 30 miles southeast of Dallas. It pays $200 a day, which sounds great until you get to the kicker.

It’s a 600 vehicle a day gate!

So let’s see. $50 more a day than our $150, and you get to quadruple your work load. Sounds like a great deal to me. I wonder why they’re having trouble finding anyone?

In other news, I found my set of longer cables for the satellite dome, so Jan has TV again. The cables were right where I left them, but not where I remember leaving them. That seems to happen a lot lately. But the real culprit is the fact that before we left Houston I went through and reorganized all the basement bins in a logical fashion.

But apparently, what was logical then is not quite so logical now. That’s what I get for tidying things up.

Unlike a lot of gate guard couples, Jan and I don’t work 12 hour shifts. We find it much easier to split it up.

Jan works from 7am to 2pm, and brings out something for breakfast that we eat together. I’m scheduled come back at 2pm, but usually it’s earlier and I bring out coffee.

So I work from 2pm to 6pm, and Jan brings out supper that we eat together. Jan then works from 6pm to 11pm, and I work from 11pm to 7am.

Wash, Rinse, Repeat.

So Jan works a 7 hour shift and a 5 hour shift, and I work an 8 and a 4. Works for us.

Today was a sad day. Dinner finished off the last of the Sonny’s BBQ we got in Pensacola, FL while we were staying at Gulf Shores, AL about a month ago. We went there twice and always bought extra to freeze.

But on a bright note, there’s a Rudy’s over in College Station, not too far away.

___________________________________________________________________

I base my fashion taste on what doesn’t itch. — Gilda Radner

adfadf

8 Responses to Found’em . . .

1. Margaret Bergen says:

Now I like that schedule. Gives you both sleep time, and brakes up the rest of the time. So much better that long 12 hour days. But now Jan is missing Prime time TV..lol…I have my shows that I watch. Guess I would have to Tape them…lol…

2. Jan Mains -- billandjanrvingtheusa.blogspot.com says:

There should be a new Rudy’s open in the Phoenix area when we get back to Arizona.

Jan,

There’s one already out in Mesa, I think it is.

We ate there with Nick and Terry in April of 2013.

Just as good as the Texas ones.

3. Michael Rado says:

One thing I learned traveling throughout the south is that suggesting that a BBQ restaurant is the best brings on other favorites. On any of your trips take you through Memphis, try Corky’s BBQ in Memphis. It’s a very small chain, but their original location on Poplar Avenue is the best. It took more than a year to go back to Sonnie’s after visiting Corky’s. And I live in Florida.

Great Blogs. Thanks for sharing.

Mike,

We’ve never eaten at Corky’s.

Our favorite there is Charlie Vergas’ Rendezvous in downtown.

But they’re closed on Monday, so this year we ate at Central BBQ.

Not as good.

4. Judy Mott says:

Greg, Dick and I work a similar schedule – much easier than a 12-hour day: I work 7 a.m.-2 p.m.; Dick works 2 p.m.-7 p.m.; I work 7 p.m.-12 midnight; and Dick works 12 midnight-7 a.m. Dick does not eat before going to bed in the morning, but will fix something before he starts in the afternoon, and I do bring him coffee, and he brings me coffee in the morning. Since Dick is the main cook, he will usually fix dinner and I do the clean up. It works for us.

Did yu see that Ed is putting together a “meet up” of RV Tips members for 11/8? I hope y’alll are back to join us and, if y’all will be, just have Jan PM Debi.

Have fun!

5. Elizabeth says:

Glad to hear your update….and how you divide up the work load there. Thanks for all the interesting things you share!!