Miserable . . .

separator

That’s what I was most of last night and early this morning. It drizzled all night, and that, combined with a stiff breeze and 62 degrees, made the wind chill in the 50’s.

Yeah, I know. Whine, whine, whine. Such is the life of a gate guard.

Today was a little better. It was cloudy, and only made it up to 67°, but the wind died down so that helped. And after Jan came out at 7am to relieve me, I dug out the heaters and a hooded sweatshirt for her, so she was pretty comfortable during the day.

Last night’s all-night drizzle was preceded by yesterday’s high winds and heavy rains. A lot of heavy rain. I believe the technical term is ‘gullywasher’. But the pea gravel we had them put down when we first got here pretty much kept the flooding under control.

And our Coleman 13 x 13 Canopy took care of protecting us from the high winds and rain.

Coleman Canopy

This is our second year of use on this one and it’s still holding up fine.

The Wenzel 10 x 10 canopy we used our first year of gate guarding in 2012 barely made it through our four month stint. In fact I left it at the Gate Guard Services yard for anyone that wanted it. But based on our experiences with the Wenzel, I had a better idea of what to look for in our next one.

1.  Bigger is usually better, so I went with a 13 x 13 rather than a 10 x 10. The legs are still 10 x 10 but the canopy overhangs.

2.  I want one with the roof vent at the top. This helps keep the wind from lifting it so much, and also lets out the hot air. (no comments, please)

3.  I wanted one that had UV protection in the canopy fabric. With the old one you could feel the heat coming through on sunny days. The Coleman has 50+ SPF protection and it really makes a difference.

4.  I wanted one that was heavy duty, and again this one has held up with no problems.

The whole thing comes in a wheeled case about 9” x 9” x 5’ tall and weighs about 40 pounds. I paid about $170 for mine last year with free Prime shipping, which was only about $30 more than our first one. Well worth the cost.

For dinner tonight, Jan and I had the steak dinner that one of the guys dropped off for us yesterday. Really good, and even splitting it, there was plenty for both of us.

Today’s vehicle count was a little higher than yesterday’s 80, with 93 vehicles coming through. Still, not bad.

Tomorrow, just another day on the gate.

_________________________________________________________________

Short answer: no.

Long answer: nnnnnnoooooooooooo.

adfadsfad

11 Responses to Miserable . . .

1. Doug Sage says:

Greg:
    In your “spare time” you ought to check out the difference between the setup of your new blog and Nick’s. We like to read our blogs in Feedly and Nick’s comes up just fine while yours only shows a preview. Feedly is a great way to follow blogs without having to manually check every single one to see if there is a new post.

• Robert Jae says:

I second that I like to read the whole blog on feedly, saves bandwidth.

Bob,

As I told Doug, that’s built into the blog theme and can’t be changed without changing themes.

As far as saving bandwidth, if you’re seeing the entire blog in your reader, it shouldn’t be saving you much of anything.

The same amount of data (pictures and text) has to come down the pipe to your computer one way or the other.

Most people seem to use readers for the convenience of having all their favorite blogs in one place.

Doug,

Unfortunately, it has nothing to do with the setup. It’s built into the blog theme that way.

The only way to change it, is to change themes.

Sorry.

2. Maybe you could have fabricated a pair of ear muffs out of tin foil.

3. George Keefe says:

(“And I was not prepared for 50’s. The outside heaters were still packed away, and the only thing long sleeve I could find without waking Jan was a light windbreaker. I really needed something with a hood because my ears were freezing due to the wind. Finally ended up putting a towel over my head.”)

That would have been a good selfie for today’s blog post.
    Bonnie and I are getting next to nothing for overnight vehicle traffic, only a security vehicle or an oil tanker. My day traffic yesterday picked up as they moved the workover rig from pad to pad.

George

4. PatrickA51 says:

What are you trying to do….make people jealous?
    The temp here sucks and the humidity don’t get me started, be happy that it’s cool a rainy!

5. Elizabeth says:

Well, It sounds like feast or famine, Greg….either you burn up or freeze…such extremes!! I hope you don’t get sick!! Better take some extra vitamin C and I would also take some garlic (or eat some very garlic heavy food!!)

6. George Stoltz says:

Ahhhhhhh. And now we enter the time of the year when free meals get dropped off.

7. Linda Sand says:

That’s why I think every RV should have a coat closet by the front door. Needing a coat from the back when all the slides are in is not wonderful either. But a free steak dinner can make up for a lot.