Should We Stay, or Should We Go . . .

So we went.

Talk about your ups and downs!

After starting coffee this morning I walked over to the office about 9:15 to see if Mark had anything coming up for us. He said nothing definite, but you never know.

Then about 9:40 Diane called me from the office and said they had a gate for us, and it was close by, only 7- 8 miles from the office. Sounded great so I told them we’d be ready to pull out in 45 minutes to an hour.

About 10:25, about 5 minutes before we were ready to crank up and pull shore power, Diane calls back and says the gate has been cancelled.


But knowing something could come up any time, we left everything pretty much ready to travel. Only thing I did was put the satellite dome back out and put out the window awnings.

And what do you know, about 1:45 Jamie called us from Madisonville with another offer. He had a gate for us near Madisonville, starting tomorrow (Wednesday) if we wanted it. It’s a long term gate, apparently not too busy, just sign people in and out, and tell them to watch the speed limit. Told him I’d call him back in a few minutes.

Jan and I talked it over after I checked out the route. Looked to be about 300 miles, (better than the 450 miles to Shreveport he offered us last week.) Figure, yeah, it was 300 miles but we would be working starting tomorrow, and we don’t know how much longer it would be before we got a gate in Whitsett. Plus Jamie said this gate would last our entire anticipated time (end of November) so we wouldn’t have to move around. So we decide to go for it. And after checking the route out some more, we decided to got ahead and get on the road today, and not wait to start out tomorrow.

So I called Jamie back and said we were on our way and would see him tomorrow. Then I headed over to the office to tell them we were leaving. And as I walked in the door to talk to Mark, Diane waved and said, “Bye.” Turns out Jamie had already called them to let them know he was ‘poaching’ us. Glad we weren’t leaving Mark in a lurch though, since there was another couple in the yard also waiting for a gate.

So right now, Jan and I are parked for the night at the East View RV Ranch near Georgetown, TX. We did 175 miles today, with about 125 tomorrow.

 EastView RV Ranch

It was an easy trip with some rain on and off, but nothing too bad, and some one-lane construction on I-410 around San Antonio.

We’ll head out tomorrow about 9am. It sounds like our gate is somewhere on FM39 south of North Zulch, which is west of Madisonville on US190.

Apparently Jamie is going to give us directions directly to our gate tomorrow morning.

So we’ll see how it goes.


Thought for the Day:

Politics is not a bad profession. If you succeed there are many rewards, if you disgrace yourself you can always write a book. — Ronald Reagan



7 Responses to Should We Stay, or Should We Go . . .

  1. Elizabeth says:

    GOD speed and safe travels, Greg and Jan!! Hope this will be a good spot…but no matter what, at least it is a matter of only a couple months!! Happy for you guys!!

  2. Debbie Kizer says:

    I used to live in Hilltop Lakes, about 10 miles from North Zulch. If you get the chance, eat at the drug store on the square in Madisonville. There’s a lunch counter at the front with the best burgers.
    Also, the nearest Walmart and HEB are in Bryan/College Station, so you’d better stock up before you get to North Zulch.

  3. Jan Mains -- says:

    Glad it worked out for you.
    I love the quote of the day.

  4. Michael says:

    Looks like your favorite truck stop is in Madisonville. You won’t lack for Cranberry Muffins

  5. Butch Williams says:

    Long term, light traffic, it sounds great.

    On the other hand, “North Zulch”, sounds like an alias name, that I would make up for a town during one of our “wild tales” sessions.



  6. Rod Ivers says:

    Heck that’s back up close to home… What you wanted in the first place….

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: