Scrubbing Bubbles . . .

Sometimes you not only can’t see the forest for the trees, you can’t even see the trees.

At least that’s how I felt yesterday when I was complaining about how much trouble I was having trying to get the old gasket and gasket sealer off my oil adapter.

And then in one of those ‘Doh’ moments for me, my beautiful (and smart wife) asked me a question.

“Have you checked to see if anyone makes something to remove old gaskets?”

Again, ‘DOH’.

And as it turns out, Permatex makes a Gasket Remover just for this purpose.

Permatex Gasket Remover

So on the way home this afternoon I stopped off at our local O’Reilly’s and picked up a package of it.

Getting home, and starting with this,

Oil Adapter Stuck Gasket

I took everything outside, and following the directions (for a change) I used the built-in brush to cover the gasket area with the foam.

Oil Adapter Stuck Gasket with Foam

The directions said to let it soak for about 30 minutes and then use a plastic scraper to remove as much of the gasket/sealer as possible.

And ended up with this.

Oil Adapter Cllean 1

A big difference!

Then a final scraping and cleaning gave this final result.

Oil Adapter Cllean Finished

Just like brand new. Yea, Scrubbing Bubbles.

So it’s looks like I’m good to go to get back under the the rig and reinstall the gasket/adapter/filter combo. Then I’ll do a 30 or so minute high-idle run to check for any obvious leaks.

This coming Sunday, or maybe next weekend, we’ll do a 120 mile round-trip test drive up to the Buc-ee’s in Katy and back. And we’ll be towing this time, since this seems to be the trigger to the leaking.

If this does finally fix the problem, then something around the second week in February Jan and I plan on taking the rig up to Alabama for a friends and family visit.

But we’ll have to see how it goes.

Thought For The Day:

“Every election is a sort of advance auction sale of stolen goods.” ~ H.L. Mencken

sdf

10 Responses to Scrubbing Bubbles . . .

1. Bob Plaskon says:

Greg, How about after installation, letting the adapter combo sit for 12-24 hours before starting the engine. Its always good to let things take a set before putting pressure to it, whether its oil or antifreeze.  Bob

Greg, How about after installation, letting the adapter combo sit for 12-24 hours before starting the engine. Its always good to let things take a set before putting pressure to it, whether its oil or antifreeze. Bob

Bob, that’s what I did. Thanks for the info.

2. That product really worked well. Something I’ll consider using on my next repair job.

Bob has the right Idea but I’ve never had the time to let things set. Most times you need it yesterday.

Be Safe and Enjoy your Test Trips.

3. Robert L says:

Is your cooling fan hydraulic driven?

4. Russ Davis says:

Hi Greg!
    Just a thought, While you have it off have you ever put the face of the adapter on a piece of glass, or better yet, a laser to see if your dealing with a flat surface to mate to the oil filter?

Russ,

Not directly, No. And in any case, the oil filter seal is not a metal to metal mating, but sealed by the large O-ring gasket on the filter that fits into a recessed groove on the adapter.

Thanks for the comment.

5. Tricia says:

Jan – brainy & beautiful!

6. Paul G. says:

I’m not a mechanic, engineer or anything like that but in this pic, there seems to be a lot of scratches for a paper gasket to fill. I think before taking it to a shop, I would get a new part and try again.  My opinion only :)> https://ourrvadventures.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/Oil-Adapter-Cllean-Finished.png