Lunch At The Brick With An Old Friend . . .

Jan and I headed down to Decatur this morning to meet up with long-time friend Anne Segrest. ‘Long-time’ as until a couple of years ago, the last time I had seen her, she was 15.

And thought she professes not to remember it, we actually went on a date once. (She’s probably not the only one who has forgotten dates with me)

I was dating her older sister Jane (unfortunately no longer with us), and Jane got grounded for some reason. And since I already had tickets for something, Jane suggested I take Anne.

We ended up at the Brick Deli in downtown Decatur and it was really good,. Jan got a Chicken Salad Sandwich with Potato Salad,

with Anne got the Garden Salad.

I got the Five Finger Banjo Picker (?) which seems to be a Reuben with German Sausage instead of Pastrami or Corned Beef, along with a cup of their really good Wisconsin Beer Cheese Soup and some very tasty Jalapeno Cornbread

And as usual for these get-togethers, we spent over two hours just talking. A great time, and we’re already looking forward to next year’s visit.

Getting our good-bye hugs from Anne, we drove back over to Big Bob Gibson’s BBQ to pick up a Brisket Sandwich and a slice of Chocolate Pie to take up to my cousin Marjorie at her assisted living center.

But we got there, we found that she had fallen in the hallway and an ambulance had been called. We did get to talk with her for a few minutes while she was being carried out on a gurney and she seemed OK, just banged up some.

We’ll call her tomorrow to see if we can see her before we leave. Hope so.

Tomorrow morning wraps up our Athens visit for this year, since we’re heading down to Birmingham for one night, with another visit with long-time friends.

Thought For The Day:

Dreams: The first thing people abandon when they understand how the world really works.

Your Retro-Preview Highlights –

2009 – Key West And The Real Margaritaville

2010 – Really Big Trees And Babe The Blue Ox

2013 – Tonopah And Your Neighborhood Brothel

2014 – Family Times

2017 – Whitewater In Bend, OR

And Now On To Today’s Retro-Blogs.™

May 15, 2009

Cheeseburger in Paradise…actually it was a Caribbean Club Chicken Sandwich…

We pulled out of the RV park in Homestead, FL and headed down to Key West about 11:30 am.

This is later than we had thought to leave, but we were waiting for the mail to come in at the park office.

Our daughter Brandi had sent us a Priority Mail letter on Monday containing a replacement debit card. One of the two we normally use has lost its magnetic strip and will no longer scan.

It should have been here Wednesday or Thursday, at the latest.  But it still hasn’t shown up.  Since we’ll be passing back thru Homestead on our way back north, the RV park is going to hold it for us, assuming it ever shows up.

We’ll see.

We arrived here in Key West about 2:30pm and have a waterfront site here at Geiger Key RV Park. We’re about 10 miles from Key West proper.

Here’s a couple of pics of what we see from our site.  Nice!!!

Site View 1

Site View 2

We actually about 5 ft. from the water’s edge.

After we had gotten things set up, we headed into Key West to grab a late lunch/early supper.

We decided to try Jimmy Buffet’s Margaritaville Café in downtown Key West. We’d eaten at his sister’s place in Gulf Shores, AL called Lulu’s at Homeport, so we had to try Jimmy’s too.

We were surprised how small the place really is.

Margaritaville Sign

Jan had the Caribbean Club Chicken Sandwich and I had the Caribbean Chicken Salad. We both really liked what we had.

Hopefully we’ll have a chance to go back.


Tomorrow some friends of ours are coming down with their RV from West Palm Beach and will join us for a few days. We really look forward to seeing Charlee again. It’s been a long time.

May 15, 2010

Elk and Deer, Yes – Whales, No…

We started off our last day in Klamath, CA with breakfast at the Klamath River Café just like yesterday.

I had the eggs, bacon, and 3 pancakes. The pancakes were so large that I could only eat one.

After breakfast, we stopped by the Post Office to mail off some packages, but since it was Saturday, it was closed. In small towns, apparently, the PO doesn’t open at all on Saturdays.

Then it was on to the Tour-Thru Tree, one of several drive-thru redwood trees in the area. This tree is still alive and still growing.

Click to Enlarge !

Click to Enlarge !

I remember driving thru a Sequoia when my family came out west on vacation back in 1964 when I was 15. When I checked it out this time, I found that it collapsed in 1969 due to heavy snowfall. The only remaining drive-thru trees are now all Redwoods.

Next, heading up the road to the Trees of Mystery place that we had seen the day before, we encountered another of the many of these signs we had seen. What’s kind of scary is that this road is about 300 feet above sea level. I don’t want to be anywhere near here when a 300 foot tsunami comes through.

Click to Enlarge !

A few miles down the road we arrived at Trees of Mystery and got parked.

Click to Enlarge !

We bought our tickets and headed up the 1/2 mile trail to the beginning of the Sky Trail gondola ride.

This is the Family Tree, twelve trees growing out of one trunk.

Click to Enlarge !

This tree has a hollowed-out passageway underneath it.

Click to Enlarge !

This is Fallen Giant, a 320 foot tree that fell about 500 years ago.

Click to Enlarge !

More tall trees than you can imagine.

Click to Enlarge !

The Cathedral Tree, a ring of 9 trees, is often used for weddings and other ceremonies.

Click to Enlarge !

This is the Brotherhood Tree, 297 feet tall and 19 feet in diameter.

Click to Enlarge !

Click to Enlarge !

After a pretty steep climb, we reached the beginning of the Sky Trail and headed up the side of the mountain.

Click to Enlarge !

Getting to the top, we found a family of chipmunks living underneath the Sky Trail upper terminal. I think this was Jan’s favorite part. They were running everywhere.

Click to Enlarge !

Click to Enlarge !

The view from the top was really something.

Click to Enlarge !

Then it was time for the ride back down. I had to search Jan to be sure she wasn’t smuggling any chipmunks back down.

Click to Enlarge !

Click to Enlarge !

Starting the trail back down we saw the Towering Inferno, a tree that was stuck by lightning in December 1995. It was originally over 250 feet tall and about 1200 years old. It burned for several days and this husk is all that’s left.

Click to Enlarge !

Click to Enlarge !

The bottom part of the trail was thru the Trail of Tall Tales, consisting of large-scale carvings telling stories of Paul Bunyan and his friends.

Click to Enlarge !

Click to Enlarge !

Back in the parking lot, we checked out the large statues of Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox.

Click to Enlarge !

Funny, but I always thought Babe was a girl.

Click to Enlarge !

Jan thinks he’s a guy!

Click to Enlarge !

Leaving Trees of Mystery we headed down the road and out to Requa Point to do some whale watching. The brochures said we could see whales off the point here from mid-April thru May.

How many did we see?


But we did find this plaque. When I first read it, I thought the human food they were referring to was US.

Click to Enlarge !

Leaving Requa Point we headed south about 95 miles to drive the Avenue of the Giants. This is a 31 mile stretch of old US 101 that threads thru some really tall trees.

Click to Enlarge !

Click to Enlarge !

Click to Enlarge !

Next, we headed about 25 miles further south and made the misinformed decision to make the 21-mile drive out to Shelter Cove where we were absolutely, positively guaranteed to see whales. What we didn’t know that this 21 mile drive would be the steepest, twistyest drive we’ve encountered since we drove up Mt Washington in New Hampshire last year. The 21 miles took us almost an hour and a half.

Of course, it would all be worth it when we saw the whales.


We saw some beautiful scenery, but nary a whale was in sight.

Click to Enlarge !

Click to Enlarge !

Click to Enlarge !

Click to Enlarge !

And, of course, we still had the 21 mile, hour and a half, drive back.

And then, of course, the 120 mile drive back home.

Coming back from Shelter Cove, we did see a lot of deer feeding along the road.

Click to Enlarge !

Getting into Eureka about 6:30 pm we stopped at a Marie Callender’s for dinner, and a couple of pieces of pie to take home with us.

Coming thru Trinidad, (no, not that one) we encountered what we had seen on a local billboard. The largest herd of Roosevelt Elk in the world crossing the road in front of us.

Finally, about 8:30 pm we got back home after a long day, and over 250 miles.

Tomorrow we travel about 160 miles north to Coos Bay, OR for a couple of days.

May 15, 2011

Park of the Sierras . . .

Our day started very early this morning, 5:30 early to be exact.

At least for me.

Jan got to sleep in . . . til 6.

We wanted to leave Boron, CA by 7 am to be sure we made it to Park of the Sierras in Coarsegold, CA about 233 miles away before noon. If we were late, the office would be closed, and we would have to dry camp overnight before checking in Monday morning.

So we pulled out of the Arabian Oasis RV park in Boron a little before 7 and got back on the road, heading west.

After passing through Mojave, and seeing the hillsides covered in windfarms,

Mojave 1

Mojave 2

we started the long climb up and over Tehachapi Pass, and of course, more windfarms.

The windfarms are here because the wind pretty much always blows here. In fact it’s not unusual for the pass to be shut down to trucks and RVs due to the high winds.

Tehachapi Pass 1

Railroad tracks paced us for a good while, threading their way back and forth, over and under the highway, including a long series of tunnels along the way.

Tehachapi Tunnel

Finally, after about 90 miles we reached Bakersfield, CA and turned north on SR99 heading toward Fresno.

In Fresno, we got on SR41, the road that would take us to Coarsegold, about 35 miles away.

Nearing Park of Sierras

We pulled into the park a little after 11 am and were greeted by Jeanne Sparks and Eldy Tompkins waving to us as we drove in, and then as soon as we parked at the office to register, there was Dave and Lynn Cross to greet us as well.

It’s always good to see old friends.

We had been told about the Ice Cream Social at 2:30, and since I couldn’t pass up ice cream we all headed down to the clubhouse about 2:20. Didn’t want to be late.

We stayed about an hour before heading back to the rig for a nap. The early morning wakeup call was starting to have its effect.

After a really good nap (is there any such thing as a bad nap?) we headed out about 6:30 for a tour around the area and dinner.

We drove through Coarsegold, and then on to Oakhurst, the last town before you enter Yosemite National Park.

All the while we drove around, we were trying to decide where to eat supper. It finally boiled down to the Chukchansi Casino right outside the park. We had heard the buffet was good, and it was.

Very, very good. Certainly on par with the Las Vegas casinos. We’ll definitely go back, probably on Wednesday night when it’s Steak and Seafood night. And it’s only $8.99 with the Player’s Cards we picked up on our way out.

We got home about 9:30 after a very long day, that hopefully will lead to an early bedtime.

May 15, 2013

Only in Nevada would you see . . .

a sign like this –

Tonopah Brothel 1b

Or this one.

Tonopah Brothel 2b

And there were several more along the way. Made for a very interesting trip today.

We pulled out of the Las Vegas Thousand Trails just about 9am. Luckily there was enough room so that we could hitch up the toad before we left, so it was just hit the road and go. And since they were parked right next door, we got to say a final goodbye to Jim Dean. We really had a great time getting to know Jim & Peri while we were in Las Vegas, and hopefully, we’ll see them down the road sometime.

We had a 215 mile trip today to Tonopah, NV, on our way to South Lake Tahoe for a two-week stay at the Tahoe Village RV Resort starting tomorrow.

For the first 70 miles we were on four-laned US95, but after that it dropped down to two-lane, but it was still a good, smooth road.

One thing that was nice was that this was all new territory for us, since we’ve never been this way before. And very quickly we started the long climb from Las Vegas’ 2000 foot elevation to Tonopah’s 6000 feet.

Tonopah Trip 1

Along the way, the terrain started to change from desert to high plains, with long rolling hills, punctuated by steep rises.

Tonopah Trip 2

At about the 100 mile mark we stopped for a bathroom break at Amargosa Valley, and that’s where we found the big red “BROTHEL” sign I posted above.

It was also nice to feel it get cooler as we drove north. In Tonopah the high today is supposed to be 80. In comparison, at 1:30am this morning in Las Vegas, it was also 80.

And even better, the low tonight in Tonopah is supposed to 50. Very nice.

We got into the Tonopah Station Casino RV Park about 1:30, and really lucked out. They don’t take reservations; it’s first come, first served. And we got the very last site. 30 amp full hookups for $15.50 a night. Not bad.

Tonopah Casino RV Park

After we got parked and set up we both took a nap for an hour or so, and then, before having dinner, we drove around town for a little while, before coming back to the casino for dinner

When I registered for our site, I asked the lady if they were part of the Station Casinos all over Las Vegas. She said no, Tonopah Casino was there first. She said we were a stagecoach station in 1905.

Note to self: When you order The Miner’s Breakfast at the Tonopah Casino Restaurant, and it says it comes with a ham steak, they’re not talking about one of those little dinky slices. They’re talking about a full-size foot-wide slice of ham.

Tonopah Ham Steak Breakfast

Tomorrow we’ve got about 250 miles to South Lake Tahoe, but since we got reservations, we don’t have to leave as early as today, but still early enough to get diesel before we leave Tonopah.

May 15, 2014

Q: How Can You Tell You’re In Illinois?

A: Fuel Prices Immediately Jump 30 cents a Gallon.

Jan and I headed over to Debbie’s this morning about 8:45, stopping on the way to get gas at the Wal-Mart. The last time I put fuel in the truck at Lake Conroe in TX, it was $3.21 a gallon. Today it was $3.54. When I got diesel in MO the other day, it was $3.62. Around here I’ve seen it as high as $3.99.

Don’t know where the extra taxes are going. They’re certainly not putting it into fixing the roads, that’s for sure.

A while after we got Debbie’s, Jan and I headed out with her to have breakfast at a nearby Mennonite breakfast place. The food was really good, and plenty of it. And they also had a lot of nice baked goods.

I had always thought that the Mennonites were a split-off from the Amish. Kind of Amish-light, so to speak. I have some relatives who are Mennonite, and they look, act, and dress like any Baptist, Methodist, Catholic, etc. But the Mennonites in this area are like the Amish of Pennsylvania, Indiana, and Ohio. They shun technology, drive buggies, and dress plainly.

As it turns out, the Mennonites came first. Coming out of the Protestant Reformation of the 1500’s in Germany and Dutch-speaking countries, they were part of the Anabaptist movement of the time. And, as a matter of fact, the Amish came out of the Mennonite Church, not the other way around. There are about 15 different sects of Mennonites, ranging from ones like my relatives, to ones that shun all modern technology, to various levels in between.

Leaving the restaurant, we stopped off at a Mennonite flower nursery that Jan and Debbie spent some time going through. I, on the other hand, read my Kindle in the car.

Getting back home we spent time talking and napping before heading out to pick up our great-niece Gwen from school and bring her back to Debbie’s for the rest of the afternoon.

But that entailed a stop by the RV park so Debbie and her husband Jim could see the new floor in the rig, and a stop at Wal-Mart for a few things.

After getting back to Debbie’s, we all headed out about 6pm to attend Gwen’s band concert at the local high school. Reminded me a lot of my days in high school.

Gwen plays trumpet in the 5th grade band and really likes it. There were 3 different bands playing tonight and they all sounded good.

Gwen Concert 1

Gwen Concert 2

Tomorrow, our last day here, will be another one filled with fun, family, and frolic.

Well, maybe just fun and family.

May 15, 2015

Things Are Looking Up . . .

We decided to go out for breakfast this morning, but while we were getting ready, there was a knock at the door. It turned out to be Stan, the service manager here at Affinity RV, with some pretty good news.

After I had questioned some of the items on the original estimate that was submitted to the insurance company, they had come up with a new, cheaper, faster estimate. ‘Cheaper’ in that the estimate has now been cut in half, because the body panels and mirror are now ‘used’ parts from Colaw RV Salvage in Carthage, MO. And ‘faster’ in that the parts should be here this Monday or Tuesday instead of waiting 5 or 6 weeks for new parts to be manufactured. I certainly don’t have a problem with ‘used’ body panels, since both the new and used ones will have to be painted anyway. Turns out they didn’t know anything about Colaw’s until I told them about them.

In fact, as it stands now, they plan on moving our rig over to the body shop area on Monday. Actually, that only means we’re moving just a couple of spaces to the left to be in that area. So nothing much will change for us. But during the move we’ll dump our black tank at the dump out front rather than having to use the leaky Blue Boy. All right for grey, not so for the black tank.

But, it will hopefully mean that we might be out of here in a month or less, but unfortunately, not in time to take the rig to Illinois next week for our family reunion, so we’ll still be going in the truck.

So, really good news to start the day.

For our breakfast, we decided to try Cowgirl in the Kitchen, a nearby breakfast/lunch place with 4 stars on Yelp. And it was easy to see why.

This was another one of those ‘nondescript’ places that you really have to be looking for to notice.

Cowgirl 0

Like our other recent favorites, BiGA and Speed’s Hanger Deli, it’s a relatively small place with only about a dozen tables.


One thing we both liked was the coffee. You have your choice of regular or dark roast. Jan started with regular to my dark roast. But then after she tasted mine, her refill was also the dark roast. It was that good.

Although we could have ordered lunch, we were still in time to get breakfast so that’s what we did.

Jan got an omelet with all the fixing’s,

Cowgirl 1

while I got the Trails End. The buttermilk pancakes were some of the best I’ve had.

Cowgirl 2

Jan and I agreed that we could probably be happy just alternating between Speed’s Hanger Deli and Cowgirl in the Kitchen the rest of our time here, but then we’d miss out on telling you about all the other great restaurants we find.

So, yeah, we’re doing it just for you.

Leaving Cowgirl’s, we drove over to the PO to drop off some mail. Looking down the road we saw the entrance to the Point of Rocks RV Park, so I decided to look the place over.

Point of Rocks RV 1

From the A-Frame design of the office, I suspect this was originally a KOA park. Driving around, it kind of reminded me of the Bend-Sunriver Thousand Trails, or the Park of the Sierras near Yosemite National Park.

Many of the sites are cut back into the woods, and are widely separated from the neighbors.

Point of Rocks RV 2

Point of Rocks RV 3

There seems to be a lot of permanents here, but the place is well kept up and very nice.

Heading back to the rig, we made a CVS stop and then were home for the day.

So it now looks like there’s a light at the end of the tunnel. Just hope it’s not a train.

May 15, 2016

Kitty Road Trip . . .

Today was a resting-up day for Jan and I. If you want to feel old, try keeping up with a 5 year old. Of course he says he’s almost 6 (in August).

And the scary part is that he was really good, not a problem at all. He’s very good at entertaining himself, so that’s not a problem. And the way he reads and writes as a kindergartener is amazing.

While they were at the pool, Landon was watching as one of the rangers drove in one of the park ATV’s. Landon said, “I keep seeing signs about deer around here. Where are they? I haven’t seen any deer.”

Jan said, “What signs are you talking about, Landon?”

Pointing at the ATV, Landon said, “Right there. I’ve seen a bunch of them here.”

Looking at where he was pointing, Jan laughed and said, “Sweetie, that’s the name of the company that made it. It’s John Deere.”

Landon looked thoughtful for a few seconds and then said, “Oh yeah. I have a toy with that on it. Neat!”

Jan spent part of the morning on the phone with a tag team conversation between her, Brandi, and Chris. They were trying to set up a family get-together next Saturday for Chris’ birthday. Although his birthday is on Thursday, everyone’s off Saturday, so it works better.

Looks like for now, we’re doing a potluck at Brandi’s in Katy. We’ll get Rudy’s BBQ, and then everyone will bring dishes to fill it out the rest of the menu. Looking forward to it.

A little before 4 we headed over to Brett and Frankie O’Neal’s in the ‘G’ section to pick them up for dinner. But on the way, while dropping off a bag of trash I did a little dumpster diving.

Well, really, more like ‘beside the dumpster diving’. And here is what I found lying there.

Found Satellite Dome

It’s a Winegard Carryout Satellite Dome, just like ours, but maybe a little newer. There’s nothing wrong with the outside, and it didn’t rattle alarmingly when I picked it up, so it’s possible nothing is really wrong with it. We’ll see.

A lot of times with these, the real problem is with the power cable, and not the unit itself. I don’t know if I’ll get a chance to look at it this week, but Colorado River next week for sure.

I left the dome at Brett’s to have more room in the truck, and then we all headed out for the Texas Roadhouse down in Conroe, where along with really good steaks, we spent a good bit of time talking over their recent visit to one of our old stomping grounds, and a place I grew up, Gulf Shore, AL.

Brett and Frankie 2

Had a great time comparing our favorite places, and our favorite meals. We ended up staying even after we finished up, trying to wait out the heavy rains that had moved in.

Brett and Frankie are leaving for Lake Whitney tomorrow morning where they’ll be working at a COE park until September. Hopefully, we’ll cross paths again soon.

As for Jan and I, we’ll be up very early, so we can head out about 5am to be down in La Marque to drop Karma off at 7am to be spayed. Then we get to wait around until around 3pm or so to then pick her up.

Oh Boy!

May 15, 2017

It Just Wasn’t To Be . . .

It finally crept up into the low 60’s today, but stayed pretty overcast with only occasional rays of sunlight.

But according to the Weather Channel, we’re still looking for snow tomorrow night, so we’ll see what happens.

About 1:30 we headed into Bend to have brunch at Big Bear Diner and then on to the movies.

Along the way we passed the weigh station that has always been closed, and that we planned on getting a free weigh as we leave here on Wednesday. But for the first time since we started coming to Bend in 2011, the weigh station was open and in use, so we’ll see how it goes on Wednesday.

Then right before we got to the Black Bear Dinner on US20, we passed Dr. Jolly’s,

Dr Jolly's Mary Jane

Dr. Jolly’s is a licensed marijuana dispensary, which I guess is why he’s so jolly.

We both decided we wanted breakfast so Jan got a mushroom cheese omelet.

Black Bear Bend Jan

Along with the country-fried red potatoes, and a big chunk of avocado, she got a side of bacon.

Black Bear Bend Bacon

Jan refers to the way she likes bacon as ‘glass bacon’, so crispy that it shatters when you touch it.

I had the two-egg combo with link sausage, potatoes, and rye toast.

Black Bear Bend Greg

Everything was as good as we’ve come to expect from Black Bear, and why we keep going back.

Before we left, we each got one of their desserts for later, Jan choosing the Coconut Cream Pie and I got the Bread Pudding.

Leaving we saw that even black bears eat there. Makes sense, I guess.

Black Bear Bend Bears

Leaving the diner we drove over to the downtown area to see Colossal at the Tin Pan Theater. But it was not to be. We could never actually find the place.

We think it was down a blocked-off alley, but by the time we figured that out, we would have missed the beginning of the movie, so we thought we’d try again tomorrow. But when I got home and checked I found the theater is not open on Tuesdays.

Turns out the place is a small 30-seat art theater, which probably explains why it’s down an alley. So we’ll have to try and catch Colossal down the road somewhere.

As we drove around we saw a lot of trees in bloom, with various shades of white and pink.

Bend Pink Tree 1

Bend Pink Tree 2

Bend Pink Tree 3

We’ve been told that some of these are cherry trees, but we’ve been lied to before, so we don’t really know. But they really are beautiful.

I guess Bend OR figured they don’t have enough whitewater rapids in the area, so they built their own . . . right downtown.

Bend Rapids 5

Built back in 2009, they arranged boulders and barriers to speed up the water flow and generate some whitewater. There are three different paths through the area. The top is for kayaks and tubes,

Bend Rapids 2

while the middle route is for rafts and surfing. Yes, surfing.

Bend Rapids 1

Bend Rapids 3

The bottom route, called the Habitat Channel, is off-limits to people, and reserved for animals. But not all I guess, since ducks are often known to ride both of the other channels. Even ducks like fun.

Tomorrow’s our last day here in Bend, so we’re making one last visit to Baldy’s BBQ for dinner, and to have leftovers for our travels.

May 15, 2018

The Annual Whine Has Begun . . .

It seems like about this time every year the whining starts, both in print and online. The articles, from places like AAA and DOT, all hammer at a common theme – people are traveling less this summer due to the high cost of gas . .  . or diesel.

And now I’m seeing Facebook posts about people that aren’t going to travel in their RV near as much this summer, or maybe even not at all. All due to the increased cost of diesel. But when I run the math, this never makes sense to me.

Let’s say a family had been planning a vacation this summer, driving 300 miles to a resort area, and then of course, 300 miles back, for a trip total of 600 miles. Now most family cars these days get at least 20 mpg, so let’s use that figure.

So with a 600-mile trip and 20 mpg, that gives us 600/20 = 30 gallons of gas used for the trip. Now the most recent low gasoline price I remember in the Houston area was $1.93 per gallon last August. And today’s price around here is $2.53, so that’s a rise of 60 cents per gallon.

Then with, using 30 gallons on the trip gives us 30 x .60, for an increase of $18. That’s an extra $18 in the total cost of your vacation. If there’s a problem with an additional $18 in your vacation budget, you probably shouldn’t be going on vacation at all.

On the diesel front, I’ll just use our upcoming trip next month up to Illinois and then back down through Alabama and finally home, for a total of about 2200 miles.

Now our rig averages between 8 and 8-1/2 mpg. So let’s use 8 mpg. 2200 divided by 8 gives us 275 gallons used for the trip. And around here, diesel’s gone up about 30 cents per gallon, so that’s give us a total increase of about $83. Or about 4 cents per mile more. Certainly not enough to cause us to cancel our trip.

Or whine about it, either.

Jan and I headed out about 1:30 this afternoon with a first stop at our new storage room to drop off some more storage stuff. Jan also went through the genealogy stuff to pull out some things that she wants to take with us up to her sister’s in Illinois.

Then it was up to Webster to have lunch at East Star Chinese Buffet again. Just as delicious as always. And they keep the place spotless, even the restrooms. Jan said that someone was scrubbing the floor with a big soapy brush, and I noticed that they had even scrubbed down the diaper changing station in the men’s room.

Then it was on to my clients to pick up an Amazon package, then WalMart, and then home.

Another nice day.

May 15, 2020

Refurbished . . .

I mentioned last week that I had to replace the HD on my main desktop computer at work. The old one just up and died. It was backed up, but I decided to rebuild it from scratch using a 1TB HD that I already had.

But when I came in to work today, the whole computer had died. It had power and lit up, but no video output at all. I did double-check the power supply, but found all the voltages OK. So I’m looking at a bad video card, or bad motherboard/CPU.

But since this is 5 year old computer, I just went onto Amazon and ordered a Refurbished Dell for $400 with a 3 year warranty. And it’s faster than my old one.

But now I’ll have to set it up all over again.

May 15, 2021

It’s Was A Joke, People !

First off, Brandi wants to thank everyone for their condolences about Moshi the cat.

Several people commented on how unusual it was for a cat to make 19. Well, back when she was a lot younger Brandi had a cat named Pepper, the only cat we ever bought. Got him from the old Docktor’s Pets in Baybrook Mall. He was just a tiny kitten, and the clerk said he was a Persian, though he didn’t really look like one to me.

As he grew bigger (a lot bigger) he turned out to be a Maine Coon, one of the largest and oldest breeds native to America.

Maine Coon

There are a lot of different colorations, but Pepper kind of looked like this photo from the Internet. He got up to a little over 18 lbs., but he looked even bigger due to his long, fluffy coat.

With the large ruff around his neck and his peacock-plumed tail, he was a very impressive cat. But a real sweetheart.

So getting back to the point of this story, he lived to be a little over 20. And though he had slowed down some, he seemed to be going strong.

Until one day he was walking from the living room to the kitchen and there was a loud noise, I’ve forgotten what it was, anyway, he just jumped a little, then fell over, and he was gone. Just like that.

Recently Elon Musk, owner of Tesla, SpaceX, Starlink, and The Boring Company, hosted Saturday Night Live. Though there was a lot of controversy even before he appeared, it flared to a white heat once he was accused of flashing a White Power symbol on the show. Some people even called for his death because of it.

And a recent Jeopardy winner also got in a lot of trouble for the same thing.

And what was this dreaded sign? The Nazi ‘Heil Hitler’ salute?

No it was something even worse. It was that awful ‘OK’ sign done with your fingers. And how does it show support for White Power?

OK Sign Diagram

Well, you have to use your imagination, I guess. Or maybe somebody can draw it on your hand for you.

Here’s Elon’s version.

Elon Musk OK Sign

Based on the drawing, his version looks more like ‘qw’ to me. Maybe you’re supposed to look at it in a mirror?

And why would an African-American like Elon Musk want to flash a ‘White Power’ sign anyway? (Look it up.)

And here’s the Jeopardy winner’s version.

Jeopardy Winner OK Sign

And he looks more like he’s signing an ‘E’ anyway, but people called for him to be thrown off the show and all his winnings to be confiscated.

Of course, if you had actually watched the show, instead of looking for something to be outraged about, you would have known that he was signaling that he was a 3-day winner. He first held up a single finger to show he had won once. Then the next day, he held up two fingers.  And so on.

But then you’d have to find something else that offended you, wouldn’t you?

And what are we going to do about all these other White Supremacists?

More OK Signs

And it looks like Rep. Cortez and Eddie Murphy are even repeat offenders.


Rep. Cortez doubly so.

Eddie Murphy OK Buckwheat

And then this one.

Biden OK Sign

So how did this sign, thats been around since the early 1800’s, get to be a symbol of White Supremacy?

It was a joke, people!

It started in early 2017 as a hoax. Anonymous users of 4chan, an anonymous and unrestricted online message board, began what they called “Operation O-KKK,” to see if they could trick the wider world — and especially, liberals and the mainstream media — into believing that the innocuous gesture was actually a clandestine symbol of white power.

“We must flood Twitter and other social media websites with spam, claiming that the OK hand signal is a symbol of white supremacy,” one of the users posted, going on to suggest that everyone involved create fake social media accounts “with basic white girl names” to propagate the notion as widely as possible.

The 4chan hoax succeeded all too well and ceased being a hoax: Neo-Nazis, Ku Klux Klansmen and other white nationalists began using the gesture in public to signal their presence and to spot potential sympathizers and recruits. For them, the letters formed by the hand were not O and K, but W and P, for “white power”.

So now, because some White Supremacists on the far-far right, and some idiots on the liberal left fell for the joke, some people are calling for other people to be killed.

It was a joke, people!

Of course, it seems based on the above photos, some people are allowed more leeway with this than others.

May 15, 2022

Immersive Monet . . .

After coffee this morning, I went outside for a few chores around the rig.

First up was to reseat the wheel covers on the Jeep. On the front two the clips that hold them on just happen to line up with balance weights on the wheels.

And since they weren’t locking down securely, one of them departed the Jeep when we hit a bad pothole. So I came up with a way to redo the clips so they all fasten down completely. Taking us from this –

Jeep Steel Wheels 1

To this

Jeep New Wheel Rear

Much better.

And since the temperatures here are starting to bump up against the 90’s, it’s about time to put the solar screens up on the windshield glass and the front side windows, so I dug them out from the back of the truck and laid them out on the patio. I went ahead and installed the ones on the driver’s window and the door, but I’m thinking about doing something different with the ones on the windshield itself, since I don’t need to put them up and take them like when we’re traveling.

So I’m thinking about it.

Lastly, I made a new addition to Jan’s Flamboyance. Not another denizen, but just a neat flag from WalMart.

Flamingo Flamboyance

Lunch today was Yummy Yummy’s once again, our favorite Chinese buffet. Really busy since we got there a little after church-getting-out time. But we still were seated immediately, and the food was as delicious as always.

Then it was on up the feeder to HEB before getting home about 2:45.


Last year we did two different Immersive Van Gogh presentations, one in October and one in November.

Immersive Van Gogh

And now, next month on June 30th, we have tickets to see the Immersive Monet & The Impressionists, including Renoir, Degas, and others.

Immersive Monet

What with our two-week Alabama vacation, and now this, June is going to be a busy month.

May 15, 2023

They Had Flowers . . .

After trying out the free hotel breakfast this morning about 8:30, we just goofed off in the room until around 11:30 when we headed out to meet up with my cousin-in-law Helen and two of her kids. I call her my cousin-in-law since she’s married to my first cousin. I guess that works.

We met at Lucia’s Cocina Mexicana right on the courthouse square. And it turned out to be a really good Mexican place. Especially for Alabama.

I had the Super Chimichangas, with one Beef, one Chicken, and one Shrimp.

Lucia's Super Chimiganga

Really good.

Jan had the Pollo Marina with Chicken and Shrimp, but she was on the other side of the big round table, so I didn’t get a photo.

We had so much fun catching up since last year that it was over two hours before we said our goodbyes.

Lucia's Helen Group

From left to right, that’s Harland, Jan, Helen, and Darby. Darby is a paralegal who spends a lot of time at the courthouse right across the street. Her sister Stahlie is on an archeological survey over in Tuscaloosa, while Luke was at work.

Had a great time and hope we can see them again before we leave town.

After lunch, we drove around checking out where we used to live. This is the house that my parents bought when we came back from South America.

Athens 36 Sandra Lane House 20230515

Looks really good, especially considering it’s 60 years old.

I  spent two summers here doing construction on a lot of buildings around town, but this is the only one left.

Athens Ro's Grill

It looked so deserted that I was afraid it was closed, but it turns out it’s just closed on Mondays.

Coming back toward the motel we made a WalMart stop for a few things, and then came out in the middle of a thunderstorm. But it had quit by the time we got back to our room. Jan’s always impressed by this location, because they always have fresh flowers in the ladie’s restroom.

Tomorrow we’re getting together with Marjorie, another cousin of mine, Looking forward to it.







Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *