Daily Archives: March 16, 2015

Google Gone . . .

First up, I don’t know if anyone else has had a problem with Google Search, or Google Voice Search on their Android phone or tablet, but a couple of days ago mine quit working. If I did a Voice Search, it would recognize my question, and then display it. It then would beep as normal, but when it came to the point where it should display, or speak the answer, nothing happened. The screen stayed blank. And typing in my search didn’t work either.


I thought it may have been due to the fact that I was half way through the two part upgrade to the new Android OS ‘Lollipop’ or 5.0 on my phone. But I discovered that my Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 tablet, which I had not upgraded, had exactly the same problem. Google Search would just not work.

I did remember that Google had updated on my devices a couple of days ago, and I wondered that might be the problem. So I went into the applications manager on my phone and selecting the Google App Info, clicked on ‘Uninstall Updates’ button. Then I rebooted the phone. This fixed the problem.

Repeating the fix on my tablet also took care of the problem there.

Today I noticed another update from Google, which might have fixed the problem anyway. At least it didn’t cause another one.

* * * * *

After finishing up a couple of other things this morning, I got back on my magnetic shade project. I really liked the idea of the Magne Shade windshield shades, but I didn’t like the $500+ price.

I have a set of the RV Quick Shades that I purchased at a Gypsy Journal Rally a number of years ago, so I wanted to see if I could convert these. The Quick Shades mount inside the windshield and are held in place by suction cups. They work pretty well, but are a pain in the rear to install, especially on the driver’s side. Also, since they’re on the inside, they still let more heat into the coach than if they were on the outside.

Back before we left Houston I ordered a couple of sets of these very strong magnets.

Magnets

10 Neodymium Magnets 1/2 x 1/4 inch Disc

Today I wanted to do a test run and try adding magnets to one of my Quick Shades They have a fold-over at the top of the shade just the right size to hold the magnets. So I removed the 4 suction cups, and using a long rod, shoved the magnets down inside the fabric, placing them at the position of the removed suction cups.

Then I stood on a step ladder and held the shade against the windshield outside while Jan placed other magnets into position on the inside. Using the step ladder I was only able to reach about halfway up the windshield, but I wanted to see if the shade would hold itself in place. And it did. Later in the afternoon I got my big ladder out of the truck and move the shade all the way to the top of the windshield.

After it had stayed in place for several hours in the gusty winds, I started converting the other shade (my shades are in two pieces). After pushing the magnets in place, I used Liquid Nails to hold the magnets in position in the tube.

I’ll let it set overnight and see how it works.

* * * * *

A little after 5pm, Jan and I headed over to the Golden Corral on 22nd St to meet Nick, Terry, and Nick’s cousin Bev there for dinner.

And that was about it for today.

___________________________________________________________________

Thought for the Day:

A falling knife has no handle.

wertwret

%d bloggers like this: