The Big Five Oh!

50 years ago today, about 1:30 in the afternoon, Jan and I exchanged vows, rings and “I Do’s” in a little chapel on Northington Campus, the married student’s housing at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa, AL.

I was wearing a suit and my beautiful red-headed wife was wearing a wedding dress that she had made herself the week before.

Along the way we had two great kids, Christopher Andrew and Brandi Leigh, and two fantastic grandkids, Piper Jean and Landon Thomas.

Jan later said she was determined for us to stay together for at least the first five years just to spite my mother.

I made the Clear Lake run again this morning, with a quick segue to get a haircut (quick because it doesn’t take long.) before getting to the office.

I did make a lot of progress today, finally getting into the tattoo shopping cart and resetting the passwords, so that means I can now update prices and make corrections.

I also made a big leap ahead on hacking into the Linux webserver, finally getting access to the Linux desktop on the machine. So now I can see where I need to get to, and to do that I need to get ‘root’ access to the system.

That will let me get into the mail server and add and update email addresses. In addition, it will help me get further along on moving the Zen Cart shopping carts to an off-site server, along with the mail server.

So now I’ve got to start going through all the possible passwords I’ve gleaned from scattered text files and scraps of paper laying around. But as of yesterday, I’m completely on my own as far as the password situation goes, with no possible additional input from the previous  IT guy, as he died in the nursing home yesterday.

Although I only met him a few times, I was sorry to hear that.

The Word of the Day is:  ‘Tittle’

“Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.

dfdfg

19 Responses to The Big Five Oh!

1. Lois Thurston says:

Happy Anniversary! I would love to Jan dress so please share pictures.

2. Jesse says:

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY

3. Jerry and Karen Walter says:

Jan and Greg….Happy 50th Anniversary. Lois is correct, pictures would be great. Karen made her dress 43 yrs ago, I wore a powder blue tux, that was big then, we walked down the isle together, and my Dad married us. It was different but her father had passed away 9 yrs earlier. After the 25th, her sister-in-law asked what we were going to do, Karen said we would give it another year.

4. Norm says:

Well that is special  50th I mean, not the PC hacking!

You both have some tales to tell.

5. Jerry Hayes says:

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY guys!

6. Happy Anniversary you two with many more to follow.

Thought for the day could be applied to today’s world leaders.

Be Safe and Enjoy!

7. Bobbie Chapman says:

I remember seeing photos in the neespapers of couples celebrating their 50th anniversary and they all looked so stiff, angry, sad, old and miserable. But look at you two!!! You are both young looking, active, engaged and living a lifestyle most would be envious to persue. Happy anniversary!

8. Paul Hildebrant says:

Happy Anniversary it only gets better.

9. Ed Hurlburt says:

Happy Anniversary Jan and Greg

10. Happy Anniversary to both you kids! ♥ Have a fun-filled day and a great dinner…

11. Boots Gibson says:

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!  You both look like you got lots more to go.  Loved the comment about Jan and the “rub” with the mother-in-law.  Did she ever come around?

12. Larry Merritt says:

Happy Anniversary. Hope you have many more happy years together.

13. Tricia says:

Happy Anniversary Jan & Greg!  I cannot imagine a happier union, except maybe a lower case “j” and its tittle.  LOL

14. Virgie Chomic says:

Thought we shared the same anniversary date – 27th.  However, ours is #65,  When did we get so old. And we are still RVing on a limited basis.  Started with pop-ups back in 1964!!  Wishing you and Jan many more happy, healthy years together!!

Virgie,

Although the blog is dated the 27th, our anniversary date is today, the 28th, the day most people will read the blog.

15. Dave Cross says:

Happy anniversary to you both.