Tomorrow’s The Big Day . . .

The day that I’m crawling back under the rig and trying to get a handle on my oil leak problem.

First thing I’m going to do is remove the oil filter and see if there is any way to prop myself up and reach the bare adapter. But if not, I’m going to put it all back together so I can crank up the engine and dropt the rig all the way down. Then I’ll have to take it all apart again and see if I can reach it then.

Hopefully, but we’ll see.

Jan and I have started to think about our next big trip. Right now we’ve got a long weekend trip up to Kingsland penciled in for November where we’ll do an early Thanksgiving get-together with all the kids and grandkids. We plan on taking the rig up, leak or no leak fixed.

Then of course, we’ve got our long weekend in NYC the first weekend in December. Really looking forward to that one.

2020 starts off with a rig trip back to Alabama to visit friends in Montgomery and Birmingham, and family in Athens Probably a couple of weeks long after the first of the year.

Early June will be a rig trip for a big family (including Jan’s sister Debbie and all her brood down from Illinois) get-together, which will be a week or so in Gulf Shores, AL before Jan and I take the rig on down to Florida to visit Nick and Terry Russell.

But now we’re talking about another big trip. This time north to Alaska.

Or maybe north back to Alaska.

We did an Alaskan cruise in 1998, and then spent 5 months workcamping in Fairbanks in 2008. But we’ve always wanted to go back.

So now we’re looking at two different possibilities. First would be 12 day Land/Sea cruise starting in Fairbanks and ending up in Vancouver, BC. But we would fly up to Fairbanks four or five days early to spend some extra time there.

Or we might just forget the cruise all together, fly up to Fairbanks and spend a couple of weeks all on our own. But we’ll still working out the details.

Stay tuned.

Jan just finished up Nick’s latest book, Dead Romeos this evening and said it’s great. She said it grabs you from the very first sentence.

Dead Romeos

Get your copy now.

Thought For The Day:

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain – Friedrich Schiller

fgh

6 Responses to Tomorrow’s The Big Day . . .

1. Lois says:

I will be taking notes on your Alaska trip because I want to do that and don’t know where to start.

2. Lloyd V. Jackson says:

“There’s a land, oh it beckons and beckons – and I want to go back and I will.”   This is from Robert Service poem ‘The Spell of the Yukon”.  On our third trip up in 1996, I left a sign in the Watson lake sign forest with this quote.

i

3. Donna Huffer says:

Drive the rig up. Spend a couple of months going and returning. Enjoyed it very much. Lots to see and do.

Donna,

Been there. Done That. We workcamped in Fairbanks for 5 months in 2008. Roamed everywhere from the Arctic Circle down to Anchorage, Alyeska, and the Turnagain Basin. And all the way out to Tok, Chicken, Boundary, and the Canadian Border.

Plus we’ve been to Valdez, Sitka, Skagway, Ketchikan, Juneau, and a lot of other places.

We’ve been out to Denali 4 times, and have seen it every time.

Plus not sure I want to take what will then be a 21-year-old rig on a trip like that.

4. Len says:

I will be planning a trip to Alaska next year. My wife wants to make it a train-cruise trip. She has always wanted to travel the U.S. via train. Since she will be 86 next month, and doesn’t move around as nimbly as she did, even a couple of years ago, this will probably be our last big trip. When is the best time to be in Alaska? I want to see the Bears catch some Salmon.

Len,

We got there to Fairbanks on April 26th and left September 20th.

I seem to remember that the best time to see bears and salmon is from august to mid-September.

Hope this helps.