And Now We Wait And See . . .

I was outside and under the rig a little after 1pm to reinstall our rig’s gasket/oil adapter head/filter combination, and hopefully finally fix this long-term pesky oil leak.

The only problem I had was keeping the gasket aligned with the adapter head.

Oil Rig Adapter Gasket

It’s hard to tell from the photo but the gasket and the adapter head are keyed and the bolt holes only line up in one position.

When I installed it the last time the gasket was stuck to the adapter head with the Permatex stuff so I had no problem with it shifting around. But without the sealer I had to just get one bolt started very loosely, and then used a long screwdriver to move the gasket into the right spot and then installed another bolt.

After I had all four installed and snugged down with my standard ratchet, I set my torque wrench to 20# and tighten the bolts until the ‘click’.

Oil Filter Adapter and Gasket Installed

Next, after I took a break, I filled my new oil filter with oil and back under rig, I lifted the filter into the place and got it started after a few tries. The real problem with this is that the filter + oil weighs about 10 pounds, and holding it overhead with one hand is not exactly easy. But finally I did get it started and tightened down by hand.

Then I used my filter strap wrench to do the final 3/4 turn to snug it down tight. And I was done.

A couple of our blog readers suggested that I let things set for 24 hours or so before I crank it up for a leak test. So since I’m not in any real hurry I’ll wait until tomorrow to give a high-idle (1000rpm) test for 30 minutes or so.

I had originally planned to do our 120 test drive this coming Sunday, but now I think will wait until Sunday week, the 28th.

And then we’ll see.

If it all looks well, we plan on heading up to Alabama for a family and friends visit. Really looking forward to it.

Thought For The Day:

A Little High and To The Left

laser_scope

jkhkjhk

6 Responses to And Now We Wait And See . . .

1. Jerry Walter says:

Thinking of your issue….is it possible to attach a camera underneath your rig to video the filter and/or hoses as you drive. It might be possible but you may not have the right equipment. But your creative and can think out of the box. 😊

Jerry,

Actually I tried this in October 2018 on our way back from visiting Nick and Terry in FL. I have one of those endoscopic cameras and tried it in two locations without any luck.

From underneath the camera just gets covered in oil, and from up top, due to the way the oil filter is only about 2″ inches from the frame rail, I really couldn’t get the camera in the right position to see anything. It was just too close to focus. Plus the vibration was so much that it was all just a blur anyway.

Thanks,

2. Jerry Hays says:

As being in the heavy duty truck repair business for over 40 years, I would
    Suggest that after your initial run of the engine and cool down that you recheck
    Your bolt torque again. And if you don’t have a leak after the road, test, check the torque one
    More time. Good luck!

As being in the heavy duty truck repair business for over 40 years, I would
      More time. Good luck!

Jerry,

I wondered about this and asked the Cummins tech about it. He said it’s not necessary. Plus the fact that the whole filter full of oil has to come back off AND Cummins also says that once a filter is taken off it should not be reused without replacing the O-ring gasket, so that would mean another $30 filter, since you can’t buy a new gasket separately.

However if I should still have leakage that’s what I’ll do.

Thanks for the info.

3. Richard Rousseau says:

An old mechanic told me the secret to attaching a Gasket was to lightly apply oil to them. I’ve never had a Gasket move since.

Gerry has the right idea about torquing the bolts again but you have to remove the Oil Filter to do that.

Be Safe and Enjoy your accomplishments.

An old mechanic told me the secret to attaching a Gasket was to lightly apply oil to them. I’ve never had a Gasket move since.

Rick,

As I told Jerry, the Cummins tech says it’s not necessary, AND Cummins also says that once a filter is taken off it should not be reused without replacing the O-ring gasket, so that would mean another $30 filter, since you can’t buy a new gasket separately.

However if I should still have leakage that’s what I’ll do.

Thanks,